March 27, 2012

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

A while back I started reading a lot of books that really impacted me.  A reference to another book while I was in the middle of a current one would then lead me to read that one next.  It actually all started with a blog post from Jen Hatmaker August of last year.  It was just notes from a conference she spoke at, but it was a different voice/perspective and a fresh view in my opinion.  It impacted me and got me fired up about my role, and challenges, as a parent.  It really spoke to me and lit a new spark.  I must have read that post 10+ times start to finish and even shared it with friends.  It caused me to start looking into other things she wrote.  I'm not sure the order, but it lead to me reading Radical by David Platt, Crazy Love by Francis Chan, Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker, The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, Barefoot Church by Brandon Hatmaker (her husband) and also 7: An Eperimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker...  I'm sure there were a few more, but I can't remember them at the moment.  Anyway, you get the point...I came to crave reading similar messages.  In a nutshell, we spend so much of our time "blessing the blessed" and I think we are really missing the point.  It was even part of the reason we started visiting other churches (even though I really did love my church and all the people in it).  I felt like I needed a change.  I needed to step out.  I needed to hear other things and meet other people.  I reread the New Testament a little at a time each morning, looking specifically at what Jesus said and what Jesus did.  How He lived His life and what He called us to do.  I honestly feel like this past year or so has been a life changing piece of my Christian walk.

Click here to read Jen's set up for the book, "7:  An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess."  Like the other books, this one really hit a nerve with things I have been thinking.  I'm really praying and thinking about what to do with this.  Definitely something, but not sure what yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment